When was the last time you felt welcome – like an “us”, not a “them” – among strangers? Have you experienced people of different walks of life coming together from different origins, united by a common purpose? These are the kinds of experiences and spaces that Amy Haimerl, founder of Shady Ladies Literary Society, and David Dwaihy, co-owner of Detroit City Football Club, are creating. They joinedLynne recently for a special episode of the Make Meaning podcast, recorded live at the Motor City Woman’s Podcast Brunch as part of the Detroit Podcast Festival. Amy and David share a purpose: creating common ground for people from diverse backgrounds to connect over shared interests. Hear how grassroots efforts grow by promoting shared purpose and values:
Guest Amy Haimerl is an award-winning author, journalist, and adjunct professor at Michigan State University. Through Shady Ladies Literary Society, she hosts incredible events, matching upcoming female authors and chefs in unique venues to create a space of welcoming grace and graciousness for all who attend.
David Dwaihy is a math teacher at University Liggett School and a founding co-owner of Detroit City Football Club, a semi-professional soccer club whose supporters and fans provide an atmosphere that transcends the game itself.
In this episode, Lynne, Amy and David discuss:
- The power of community organizations and grass roots movements
- Cultivating community through common purpose
- Creating an atmosphere of “us” not “them”
- Keys to Entrepreneurship: Creativity, retaining authenticity while scaling up, and recognizing a good opportunity when you see one
Helpful links and resources:
- Amy Haimerl website
- Shady Ladies Literary Society web
- Shady Ladies Literary Society Facebook
- Shady Ladies Literary Society Instagram
- Shady Ladies Literary Society Blog
- Detroit City Football Club website
- Detroit City Football Club Facebook
- Detroit City Football Club Instagram
- The Northern Guard Supporters
- Motor City Woman
- Detroit Podcast Festival
Coming up next week: What do championship women’s college basketball and Yoga have in common, and how do they lead to a life of purpose? Find out when Lynne interviews Linda Makowski, owner of Namaste Yoga Studio on next week’s episode of the Make Meaning Podcast!