The path to purpose isn’t always linear. In fact, many people set out on one path only to follow the bends and twists until they end up in a different calling. Today’s guest on the Make Meaning podcast, Rev. Dr. Maidstone Mulenga, was a journalist for nearly 17 years before he felt the call to ministry. Today, he is a powerful leader in the United Methodist Church. Listen as Lynne and Maidstone discuss how one purpose can lay the groundwork for what we are truly meant to do.
Rev. Dr. Maidstone Mulenga is the Director of Communications for the Council of Bishops of the United Methodist Church. He worked as a journalist for Gannett newspapers in both Michigan and New York and holds a doctorate and graduate degrees in divinity, computer-mediated communication and journalism from colleges in Zambia, Michigan and New York states. He is a published author in several books and publications including his own, To Our Readers: A Study of Guilt Redemption in Newspaper Corrections.
In this episode, Lynne and Maidstone discuss:
- Communicating to and for a global Christian denomination
- Leading messaging during times of division and turmoil
- Connecting the world through stories
- The power of human impact in storytelling
- How to find common ground with others
- Understanding true purpose, even when it seems to change
Links and Resources:
- Special vote re: LGBTQIA policy in the United Methodist Church
- The Times Herald (Port Huron, MI) Democrat and Chronicle (Rochester, NY)
- Ecumenical Relationships
- Human impact of storytelling
Coming up Feb. 10 on the Make Meaning Podcast:
Reducing Food Waste with Reyanne Mustafa, co-founder of Soulmuch, a start-up cookie company dedicated to reducing food waste, making healthier food more accessible, and reducing the carbon footprint. Tune in when Lynne speaks with Reyanne about how sustainable cookies have helped her find meaning and make a difference in the world.