When asked which role he prefers – teaching high school, coaching soccer, serving as a blended family expert, or being a husband and father – Joel Hawbaker has a hard time choosing. All of these roles combine to form his personal purpose, says the Alabama native.
In the latest episode of the Make Meaning Podcast, Joel speaks with host Lynne Golodner on having a growth mindset, the purpose of education (hint: it’s to become a better human being and better understand the world), taking time to blend families, banishing the divorce stigma, his love of soccer and so much more.
In this episode, Lynne and Joel Hawbaker discuss:
- Shifting perspectives
- How history doesn’t change – only our interpretation does
- Losing his dad to cancer and resolving lifelong anger
- Making sure your marriage is strong
- The importance of faith
- Re-evaluating history
Links and Resources
- The 10 Commandments of Blended Families
- Gil and Brenda Stuart
- Smart Stepfamilies, Pastor Ron Deal
- The 5 Love Languages
- Covenant College
- Erik McDaniel of Grace Presbyterian Church in Jasper, Tennessee
- Top Gun
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
If you enjoyed this episode, you’ll like these other Make Meaning podcast episodes!
- Episode 86, Joshua Smith, high school counselor & member of the Michigan Governor’s Task Force for Return to Learn
- Episode 56 – Writing About the Good Life with Ken Budd
- Episode 48 – The NFHS Reunion Episode: Reflecting on 30 Years Since Graduation
- Episode 37 – A True Education with Lynne Golodner
- Episode 15 – Passion for City and Soccer with David Dwaihy